Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Doki Doki Captive Heart

Captive Heart (Original)

Originally released May of 2021. Technically the second mod in the Perfect World Anthology after I decided Tainted Love did not work for the series anymore.

In this universe, we meet a young man (MC) who, after wanting to confess to his high school crush for a long time, ends up doing so in a twist of fate. That high school crush just happens to be Monika Akiyama, one of the most popular girls in school.

After dating for some time, Monika invites MC over to her house for dinner as her way of treating him. While waiting for dinner to be made, MC stumbles on a piece of paper that turns out to be a torn diary scrap with Monika's handwriting on it. Curiosity getting the better of him, he stumbles into a rabbit hole that leads him around Monika's house on a hunt for the rest of these torn diary scraps.

This mod is unique in the sense that, in addition to the familiar VN elements, there is a point and click aspect that allows you to explore Monika's house. The story revolves around getting to know Monika's past through these diary scraps and uncovering a secret she seems to be hiding. What could it be, though?

This mod has 4 different endings, 2 bad endings, 1 "worst" ending that I absolutely hated writing but made by request of Mr.Rocketman909, and a true ending, which is my personal favorite.

I put this mod up back in 2021, when it was just me and Mr.Rocketman909 still on the team. I was the writer, he was the coder. Admittedly, he did a few things I didn't approve of, such as taking elements I made for the true ending and putting them in a secret ending you unlock by playing through the mod a second time. It was inspired by the Charon game Mikoto Nikki, which in turn was partially inspired by Mirai Nikki (The Future Diary).

I used to be very proud of this mod. It was my first time truly writing Monika outside of Carpe Diem and what little work I did for October Horizon. I had a lot of fun working on it (outside of the conflicting ideas and game design philosophies me and Rocketman had) and it was an interesting mod we were both satisfied with. That was, until I saw certain reactions of the mod on YouTube. Ultimately, I grew to feel ashamed of the mod and even despise it after time passed. I then decided to take the mod down just due to the negative reception it garnered. While some people praised the creativity of the mod and even the story, others called it complete nonsense and felt the mod was garbage.

Because people keep asking me about this mod and continue to talk about it, I am going to reverse my decision and make the original Captive Heart available again. I will not do this for Tainted Love, as I still do not feel comfortable making that available once again. I honestly want that mod to stay lost. For the people who genuinely enjoyed Captive Heart, here you are again. I still say it will be worthwhile to play the planned remake instead, but here you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Doki Doki Captive Heart

Captive Heart (Original) Originally released May of 2021. Technically the second mod in the Perfect World Anthology after I decided Tainted ...